The Nano-CEMMS Undergraduate Scholarship
A graduate student (left) mentors an undergraduate working on
a Center project
As part of its efforts to diversify science, technology, and engineering fields, Nano-CEMMS has established the Nano-CEMMS Undergraduate Scholarship. The award is intended to enhance the Center's undergraduate student diversity and ultimately to increase the talent pool of persons qualified for nanomanufacturing positions.
Nano-CEMMS will award four $500 scholarships to incoming University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign students who demonstrate academic potential and a sincere interest in nanomanufacturing. The award is renewable annually and will increase in its monetary value following the first year for recipients who demonstrate academic excellence and active participation in the Center. Continued support is subject to the availability of funds and the stipulations outlined below. Award recipients are selected based on a comprehensive review of the application materials by the Center's Executive Committee.
To retain the Nano-CEMMS Undergraduate Scholarship, applicants must:
- Maintain full-time enrollment in the one of the aforementioned science or engineering departments (summers excepted).
- Achieve and maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average each academic year.
- Attend and participate in Nano-CEMMS events/activities, including but not limited to seminars, educational activities, NSF site visits, and luncheons.
- Participate in the Nano-CEMMS Undregradaute Research Program in the second, third, or fourth year of the award.
To be considered for a Nano-CEMMS Undergraduate Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Have demonstrated scholastic excellence (e.g., GPA, ACT score, class rank, etc.).
- Be an incoming University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign freshman in Aerospace Engineering, Applied Physics, Bioengineering, Chemistry, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, or Mechanical Science and Engineering. a science or engineering department.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a career interest in nanotechnology.
Persons from groups underrepresented in science, technology, or engineering are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this scholarship, download the application form, fill it out, and return it to the following address:
Undergraduate Scholarship Application
ATTN: Jerrod Henderson
The Nano-CEMMS Center
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
4421 Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, MC-244
1206 W. Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801
To open the application form, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar software.